CONSTRUCTION: MAIN RAILWAY STATION
The new Main Railway Station in Vienna
The new main station is set to provide Vienna with a modern transportation hub and a thriving new district within the city. During construction work, rail services will be diverted, with interim arrangements coming
into force until the end of the construction work and will remain valid until the partial opening of Vienna Main Station in December 2012.
With the change of timetable on December 13th, 2009, Vienna Südbahnhof, platforms 11–19, will be closed. Vienna Meidling (Philadelphiabrücke) will take on some of the functions of Südbahnhof.
What are the changes for the passengers?
Apart from a few exceptions, suburban and local services feeding in and out of the main S-Bahn line (Vienna Meidling – Vienna Floridsdorf) will retain their existing routes. This affects routes S1, S2, S3, S5, S6, S7 and S9 as well as REX and regional trains.
- The suburban rail station (platforms 21/22) will remain in operation during construction of the main station. New provisional entrances with stairs and elevators are located in the Schweizergarten next to Arsenalstraße. These facilities are barrier-free.
South-bound trains (e. g. Slovenia) will travel from/to Vienna Meidling.
Eastern-bound trains (e. g. Hungary) will travel from/to Vienna Westbahnhof, calling at Vienna Meidling.
Trains from/to Bratislava will travel from/to Vienna Südbahnhof (Ostbahn).
Northeastern-bound trains (Czech Republic, Poland) will travel from/to Wiener Neustadt via Vienna Meidling. The first train each day from Vienna to Prague and the last return train will travel from/to Vienna Praterstern, calling at Vienna Floridsdorf.
- Trains to the west and northwest (Switzerland, Germany) will continue to travel from/to Vienna Westbahnhof.
Long-distance and local south-bound trains that until then previously travelled to and from Südbahnhof will start and end at Vienna Meidling. This affects e. g. Intercity trains from Graz and Klagenfurt as well as international trains to Italy and Slovenia.
Almost all local trains feeding into and out of the main S-Bahn (Vienna Meidling – Vienna Floridsdorf) will continue to do so. They will continue serving all their current stops. This affects trains from Retz to Payerbach-Reichenau.
Trains connecting Oberwart and Vienna terminate at Vienna Meidling.
Trains via Friedberg, Aspang and Wiener Neustadt will start and end at Vienna Meidling during the peak hours. Off-peak they terminate at Wiener Neustadt, where passengers can change to long-distance trains from/to the northeast which will be extended to Wiener Neustadt.
Trains connecting Vienna and Deutschkreutz via Sopron will start and end at Vienna Meidling.
Inner Aspangbahn trains end in Maria Lanzendorf. Because of bridge construction works in the area around Gudrunstraße, these trains cannot go further. Bus transfer will be provided from/to Maria Lanzendorf from/to Südtiroler Platz.
- Long-distance trains from the northeast (Czech Republic, Poland) start and end at Meidling or Wiener Neustadt: Trains that previously approached the eastern side of Südbahnhof via Breclav, Gänserndorf and Simmering travel to and from Vienna Meidling. Some of them start and end there and others in Wiener Neustadt, where they will form a connection for passengers travelling from/to Friedberg and Aspang. One pair of trains travels from/to Villach.
Further information are provided by Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB), at the ÖBB CallCenter on 05-1717 from within Austria, +43 (0) 51717 from Italy or +43 5 1717 from all other countries.
- 14.3 mi (23 km) to the International airport Vienna Schwechat
- 0.9 mi (1.5 km) to Vienna West Station
- 1.9 mi (3 km) to Vienna South Station/ prospective Vienna Central Station
- Close by: Franz Josef train station
- Close by: Underground Line U4, stop Friedensbrücke
- Close by: Tramway lines D, 5
- 1.9 mi (3 km) from the Hofburg
- 2.5 mi (4 km) from the Austria Center
- 2.5 mi (4 km) from the Reed Exhibition Centre Vienna
- 43.5 mi (70 km) to Bratislava
- 80.8 mi (130 km) to Brünn
- 124.3 mi (200 km) to Graz
- 155.3 mi (250 km) to Budapest
- 186.4 mi (300 km) to Salzburg
- 217.5 mi (350 km) to Prague
GPS data: N 48.226432 E 16.360097
download Hotel Bellevue "Location"
- click here -