The history of the Hotel Kummer in Vienna
In 1872, the Hotel Kummer was inaugurated by Michael Kummer, a hotel manager of Bavarian origin, with it’s new name Hotel Kummer. Within a short time the house developed into a well-known institution and everybody with a name and title used to meet in the Kummer.
Long before that time, between 1663 and 1665, three guest houses were built outside the city walls in what was to become in later years the 6th district of Vienna: Mariahilf, St. Mary - Help us. One of the guest houses was called To the golden Cross, located at the very place where nowadays the Hotel Kummer is situated. Furthermore, as the guest house was located in the vicinity of the home residence of State Chancellor Kaunitz, business went so well that a beautiful hotel developed out of it, into which the Strauss family moved in 1825 - shortly after the birth of their son Johann - and lived there for more than a year.
In the year 1870 the hotel was completely demolished, and a new hotel was designed by the architect Edward Weiser. In 1904 Michael Kummer decided to have the hotel rebuilt completely by the architect Ludwig Schwarz - it is the building of that period which still stands.
Friedrich Schlögl, one of the founders of the classical Viennese literature tradition, brought together important members of the Viennese art community in the Kummer. After the death of Michael Kummer, the fine, distinguished house with its 150 beds, was taken over by his son-in-law, finally to be incorporated into Austria Hotels International in 1955, who manage it still, along with many other hotels in Vienna, Baden near Vienna, Eisenstadt, Brno and Prague.
The Hotel Kummer looks forward to welcoming its guests from all over the world, with the comfort the modern tourist expects.