The Albertina in Vienna was established in 1776 by Duke Albert of Saxony-Teschen, a son-in-law of Empress Maria Theresia, and the largest and most valuable graphical collections in the world. Famous pieces such as Dürer's "Hare" and his "Hands folded in prayer", Rubens' studies of children and masterpieces by Schiele, Cézanne, Klimt, Kokoschka, Picasso and Rauschenberg are displayed in the rotating exhibitions.
On permanent display in the Albertina's new exhibition collection are the most exciting art movements of the last 130 years: from French impressionism to German expressionism to the Russian avant garde and the present. Monet's "Water Lily Pond", Degas' "Dancers" and Renoir's "Girl" can be gazed at in wonder, as can paintings by Beckmann, Macke, Chagall, Malevich, Rothko, Rainer and Katz.
The Habsburg Staterooms in the historical Albertina Palace are furnished in shining yellow, green and turquoise, partly furnished with original furniture, transport visitors back to the time of their inhabitants. Both the entire gilding of the carvings with the special alloy "Albertina gold" and the artistic parquet floors with rose and ebony intarsia are worth a look.